BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Senin, 02 Mei 2011

Theory Direct and Indirect Speech

* Direct Speech is sentence pronounced by the speaker directly.
* Indirect Speech is a sentence which states or greeting someone report back without changing the intent of what the speaker said.

Note: Direct and Indirect Speech bisa juga disebut Reported Speech
* Reported speech is a sentence that reported something as a test of one's statement.
Example:
1.       Direct Speech  à  David said ‘ I am fine ‘
    Indirect Speech        à David said (that) he was fine
Explanation:
- In Indirect Speech / Reported speech there are changes or verb tenses in sentences spoken by the speaker.
- I am happy in the direct speech of the above changed to He was happy in indirect speech.
- I be a he because the speaker is davib.
- (that) means that. This word should or should not be included or used
2.      Direct Speech      à Susan said ’ I am cleaning’
Indirect speech     à Susan said (that) she was cleaning



Y Dalam Reported speech atau Indirect speech, terdapat perubahan-perubahan kedalam bentuk lampau (the past)
Am or is à Was
Has to à Had to
May à Might
Are à Was or Were
Shall à Should
Walk à Walked
Have or Has à Had
Will à Would
Wear à Wore
Have to à Had to
Can à Could
Drink à Drank

Example:
             Direct Speech
             Indirect Speech
  ‘ I am happy ‘
He said that he was happy
  ‘ Betty is smart ‘
He said betty was smart
  ‘ You are naughty ‘
He said that I was naughty
  ‘ They are busy ‘
He said they were busy
  ‘ I have a Doll ‘
She said that she had a doll
  ‘ Jack has a piano ‘
He said jack had a piano
  ‘ I have eaten ‘
He said he had eaten
  ‘ I have to go ‘
He said he had to go
  ‘ John has to stay ‘
He said john had to stay
  ‘ We shall help ‘
We said we should help
  ‘ Jane will teach ‘
He said Jane would teach
  ‘ I can dance ‘
He said that he could dance
  ‘ You may come in ‘
He said I might come in
  ‘ They walk fast ‘
He said they walked fast
  ‘ Liza wears glasses ‘
He said Liza wore glasses
  ‘ I know them ‘
He said he knew them

9 Perubahan Tenses Dalam Reported Speech:
1.     Simple Present Become simple past
-        Direct speech       à John said ‘ I like badminton ‘
-        Indirect speech     à John said that he liked badminton ‘
2.     Present Continues Become Past Continues
-        Direct Speech       à Gina told me ‘ Bob is sleeping now ‘
-        Indirect speech     à Gina told me that Bob was sleeping then
3.     Present Perfect Become Past Perfect
Direct Speech       à Jim told me ‘I have seen a ghost ‘
Indirect speech     à Jim told me that he had seen a ghost
4.     Simple Past Become Past Perfect
Direct Speech       à Tina told me ‘I borrowed a book yesterday ‘
Indirect speech     à Tina told me that he had borrowed a book the day         before
5.     Simple Future Become Past Future
Direct Speech       à Ali said ‘I Shall go fishing tomorrow ’
Indirect speech     à Ali said that he would go fishing the following day
6.      Past Future Become Past Future Perfect
Direct Speech       à Liza told me ‘I should wash the clothes ‘
Indirect speech     à Liza told me that she would have washed the clothes

Perlu diperhatikan bahwa kata-kata berikut ini bisa berubah :
This
That
Here
There
Now
Than
Ago
Before
Yesterday
The day before
Tomorrow
The following day
Next Week
The following week

Example :
1.     Direct Speech       à Robert said ‘ I like this car ‘
Indirect speech     à Robert said that he liked that car

2.     Direct Speech       à Peter said ‘ You have to sit here ‘
Indirect speech     à Peter said that I had to sit there

3.     Direct Speech       à Laura told me ‘ Bob is studying now ‘
Indirect speech     à Laura told me that Bob was studying then

4.     Direct Speech       à Linda told me ‘ I arrived an hour ago ‘
Indirect speech     à Linda told me that She had arrived an hour before

5.     Direct Speech       à Susan told me ‘ I played tennis yesterday ‘
Indirect speech     à Susan told me that She had played tennis the they before

6.     Direct Speech       à Paul said ‘ I shall buy a jacket tomorrow ‘
Indirect speech     à Paul said that he would buy a jacket the following day

7.     Direct Speech       à Julia said ‘ Helen will get married next week ‘
Indirect speech     à Julia said that Helen would get married the following week

9 Direct speech and Indirect speech dalam kalimat Pernyataan (Statement):
1.     Direct         à Dona says ‘Morgan is very strong’
Indirect      à Dona says that Morgan is very Strong

2.     Direct         à John said ‘ This egg is cheap’
Indirect      à John said that the egg was cheap

3.     Direct         à Michel said ‘Tom will return ‘
Indirect      à Michel said Tom would return

4.     Direct         à Diana said ‘ I can speak Japanese ‘
Indirect      à Diana said that she could speak Japanese

5.     Direct         à Carlos said ‘ I want to cry’
Indirect      à Carlos said he wanted to cry

9 Direct Speech and Indirect Speech Dalam Kalimat Perintah (Commands):
1.     Direct         à ‘ Go away’
Indirect      à He told me to go away

2.     Direct         à ‘Run’
Indirect      à He told me to run

3.     Direct         à ‘Do Something’
Indirect      à He told me to do something

4.     Direct         à ‘ Find the document’
Indirect      à He ordered us to find the document

5.     Direct         à Dona said ‘ Clean the glass!’
Indirect      à Dona told me to clean the glass

9 Direct Speech and Indirect Speech dalam Kalimat (Requests):
1.     Direct         à ‘Open the door, please’
Indirect      à He asked me to open the door

2.     Direct         à ‘Please come here’
Indirect      à He asked me to come there

3.     Direct         à ‘Sit down, please’
Indirect      à He asked me to sit down

4.     Direct         à ‘Please have the tea’
Indirect      à He asked me to have the tea

5.     Direct         à ‘Please help me’
Indirect      à He asked me to help him



9 Direct and Indirect Speech dalam kalimat Tanya (Questions)
1.     Direct         à ‘How is betty?’
Indirect      à He asked me how betty was

2.     Direct         à ’What is she doing?’
Indirect      à He asked me what she was doing

3.     Direct         à ‘When will you have a test?’
Indirect      à He asked when I would have a test

4.     Direct         à ‘Where is Helen?’
Indirect      à He asked where Helen was

* Apabila kalimat Tanya memerlukan jawaban Yes atau No maka dalam Reported speech harus diserakan If atau Whether :
1.     Direct         à ‘Are you hungry?’
Indirect      à He asked me if I was hungry

2.     Direct         à ‘Can you drive a truck?’
Indirect      à He asked me whether I could drive a truck

3.     Direct         à ‘May I use the telephone?’
Indirect      à He asked me whether he might use the telephone

4.     Direct         à ‘Do you understand Lesson Five?’
Indirect      à He asked me if I understood Lesson Five

9 Direct Speech and Indirect speech dalam Kalimat Seru (Exclamations)
1.     Direct         à ‘How beautiful she is!’
Indirect      à He exclaimed how beautiful she was

2.     Direct         à ‘How wonderful the island is!’
Indirect      à He exclaimed how wonderful the island was

0 komentar: